Sunday, April 1, 2012

Update of the Girly-pies

As my due date for our little boy approaches I figure I should record some things that the girls are saying/ doing before I get completely overwhelmed with #3.

First day of Primary
Eliana is now 3 1/2 years old.  Our biggest project at the moment is potty training.  We've been working on that for over a year now.  I really don't want three kids in diapers, but it's looking like it will be that way for a while.  My mom told me I was Ellie's age before I potty trained and that makes me a little less discouraged with the process.  She knows how, she just doesn't consistently choose to go on the potty.  We got her a potty watch to help remind her.  It's probably a better reminder for me so I can make sure Ellie goes.  The novelty is wearing off, though I think she still likes it.  She just doesn't insist on always having it on her wrist anymore.

We certainly have a little performer in Ellie.  We gave talks in church a few weeks ago and Ellie was also able to participate.  She loved it.  She's asked when it's her turn to speak in church again.  The same holds true for singing and, well,  pretty much everything she does.  We were at my parents house recently and the girls were enjoying playing on the slide.  Out of the blue she started calling out, "Ladies and gentlemen, is you ready for a show?"  Then she went down the slide on her tummy.  For another ten minutes after that she announced every time she, her sister, or her cousin were about to go down the slide with, "Is you ready for a show again?"  It was funny.

Another of Ellie's favorite activities is jumping.  Always has been, probably always will be.  New activities include bike riding, wanting to help with EVERYTHING, running around like a demon, and playing with my makeup.

Ellie is also our little comedian.  She doesn't know it, but we find her rather hilarious.  My favorite gem that's come out of her mouth was when she told me, "I'm being a princess.  I dancing and singing and shaking my bottom."  Ellie also remains convinced that we will go to the dentist to get her baby brother out.  She has a dentist appointment yesterday and that didn't happen.  I think the dentist was pretty happy about that.

Playing at Discovery Gateway
Maya just turned 18 months old a couple of weeks ago.  My joy that she is now in Nursery is unparalleled.  She's been there twice.  It's nice to be able to pay attention in my classes.  It seems that she's done well, though I have heard her give her signature I've-been-betrayed cry when she realizes I've left the room.  No one has ever brought her back to me, so that's something.  I used to be so sad that she was growing up so quickly, but I think with the baby's imminent birth I've been wanting her to grow up (read: be more independent) a bit faster.  She's going to have a rude awakening when baby brother comes on the scene.  Her favorite place to be in either in my arms or on my lap.  Sorry kiddo, that space is going to be reserved for a nursing baby.  But I do like the snuggles she so readily gives.

Painting the table with Ellie's extra milk and cereal
Where Maya used to be a really mellow and somber-faced baby, she is now a ball of happiness.  I love the way she smiles with her whole face.  I hope that's something she will keep as she grows.  Smiles are abundant, but she saves her real laughs for when she's really amused.  Eric and Ellie are both pretty good at getting them out of her.

"Helping" with the laundry
Favorite activities for Maya include drawing, climbing, taking books off of shelves, sitting on my lap, sabotaging the computer, and getting up at least twice in the night so she can sleep in my arms.  That's another habit that will have to go.  Maya's favorite thing, though, really is drawing.  She's learning that the walls are unacceptable drawing places and thinks that her skin is a suitable replacement.  She's our little tattoo artist.  Hopefully she gets that out of her system before too long.


Another good use for Pull-Ups: helmets
Ellie is finally starting to progress a little with potty training.  I don't relish the idea of three kids in diapers so this is a blessed change.  There's a lot she still needs to work on, but any forward movement is good.  It's been a long, frustrating time in coming.  I think the real trick was getting her a potty watch and rewarding her with chocolate Robin Eggs.  Ellie is very excited whenever she earns "a widdle tiny chocwat egg."  Maya is also really fascinated with the potty, but she's not ready to train yet.  She just likes to sit on it.

Both of the girls are looking forward to having a baby brother.  Ellie can't quite pronounce his name and people think we're naming him Gordon.  His name will be Quintin.  Both of the girls kiss my tummy frequently.  Maya likes to lift my shirt for better access and to see "Bee-bee!"  Ellie frequently predicts when he will be born, but I think that's mostly because there are things she knows will happen after he's born.  It's a treat to be mommy to these sweet little girls.  I may get frustrated quite a bit (what mom doesn't?) but I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Big girls at the dentist's office.

Maya in Christmas dress and coat

No comments: