Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Five Months (Maya)

Maya is growing beautifully.  She certainly gets more beautiful by the day.  She is so mild and calm.  Sadly, she has been kind of sick for the past couple of weeks.  Maya is better now, but she had us really worried for a while.  The worst it ever got was a snotty nose and a hoarse voice that scared us pretty good.  It wouldn't have been so bad except that her sister has pneumonia at the same time.  We didn't want to deal with that at Maya's age.  After two trips to see the doctor we finally just let the sickness take it's course.  Thankfully, she's just fine.

Lately I've been a little concerned that Maya has not started rolling over.  Other babies I know of have rolled over and Ellie had it pretty well mastered by this age.  Then I remembered how often I actually put Maya down on the floor...not so often.  She can't learn to roll over if she doesn't get the opportunity.  I'm working on that. She may have rolled over once when I wasn't looking, but it's also likely that her big sister was helping her.

Maya has seemed a little extra hungry and fussy lately.  I was pretty sure that she was teething and I thought I could see a bit of tooth starting to come in on the bottom.  Nothing came of it and I kind of let it slide and thought maybe I was wrong.  Today (the day after she turned five months) I looked at her gums again and it is quite clear that she has both of her bottom front teeth coming in.  I'm thinking the extra hungry was her teething.  She won't take a pacifier, so Mommy gets to be the teething apparatus.  That's going to change.

Maya had her first Valentine's Day this month.  I don't think she really noticed or cared, but I certainly had fun.  I put her and Ellie in matching red dresses and gave lots of snuggles.  I just don't think it gets much sweeter than that.  There will be lots more of that in the years to come.  I couldn't be more excited.  Next month will have St. Patrick's Day and I'm excited to put her in the little green romper Ellie wore on her first St. Patrick's Day.  I love cute hand me downs.

About a week ago I introduced Maya to her feet and I think it's a love for the ages.  Time spent on her back is no longer so odious as it once was.  It's really fun to watch her trying to sit up to reach them better.  I've included a couple of the "outtake" five month pictures showing her grabbing at her toes.  There are even more on my camera that what I've posted here.

Hopefully all the discomfort of teething will end shortly and Maya will work on sleeping through the night.  A mommy can hope.  Either way I love this little girl to bits.

No comments: