Thursday, May 28, 2009

Words, Words, Words

Way back when I was pregnant (so it was only a year ago, but I've had a major life change since then. It seems like I've always had Eliana) I bought a program called Your Baby Can Read. I was able to get it for free because we used to sell it through Usborne and I got it with hostess incentives after a booth. Sadly, we don't sell it anymore. We've shown her the videos almost every day since she was three months old. We knew it would take a while for results to show and we haven't been particularly anxious that she hasn't shown recognition yet, but it turns out it was us who hadn't been showing recognition. The video always starts with the word "hi" and, until yesterday, I didn't know she knew it. She was in her pack n play babbling at me. It sounded a lot like "hi" and I said it back to her. As soon as I did she broke out into a huge smile and then sat down to play with her toys. She just wanted to get my attention. In the first video the program isn't playing, I am just asking her to say it.



This video has the program playing in the back, but it's kind of quiet. You can either turn it up or I can just tell you that it goes through one other word before it says "waving." I think she also has her own way to say "waving" because she repeats it several times.


I didn't get a video of her pointing to her hand when that word came up, but she did it. Until just recently I didn't think she understood a lot of words. She's been saying " mum, mum, mum" for months now, but when it started I didn't think she could know what it meant. Regardless of how it was when she first started, she knows it now. I guess you could say her first word was "mom," however, the first word I recognized was "hi." She's growing up way too fast.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

That is so cool! I wish they still sold it. Maybe I could get it on Amazon??