Saturday, April 19, 2008

Shake, Shake, Shake

No, I'm not referring to what happens if I smack the "maternal stores" on my legs. I'm talking about the baby. As of my last update, I still hadn't felt the baby move other than the one time at the doctor's office four weeks before. My excuse for not posting earlier is that the last two weeks have been pretty busy for me and I'm a tired pregnant woman. However, I should have at the very least shared the excitement of what happened the day after my last post. That was the day I started feeling the baby every day.

I was laying in bed that morning (avoiding getting up) and starting pushing low down on my uterus to see if I could feel how high up it was. The doctor used that trick to show me on the table the day before. Then I felt something respond up top. Some people describe it as flutters, bubbles, or gas, but it felt like a muscle spasm to me. Aside from feeling it inside,I could have sworn I felt it on the outside, as well. So I tried it again. Again I felt the sensation after pushing low on my uterus. At this point I grabbed Eric's hand (waking him up) and put it where my own hand had been resting above my navel. I pushed down low and it only took a moment before she pushed back. Eric did feel it and we played with it for another minute until baby got bored and stopped playing back.

Ever since then I have been able to feel her daily. She wakes up about the same time we do, moves again right after I start eating lunch, and, apparently, has dance lessons at about 9 in the evening. There are other times she moves, but those are her more active periods during the day. She also responds if I make the mistake of wearing something that cuts into my middle. She certainly makes her discontent at being squooshed known then and pushes back on my waistline. It's really cool. My worries had been taken care of at the doctor's office the day before, but her movement is a great reminder that things are going well in my tummy.

2 comments:

Christin said...

that is so fun! I think that would be the coolest part about being pregnant! I don't care if I can't have very many kids naturally but I want to experience a full term pregnancy at least once in my lifetime. Enjoy it!

Della Hill said...

Wow, a dancer!
I thought feeing my babies move was one of the best parts of being pregnant.
I'm also glad for you that you have the daily reminder that she's "alive and kicking".
Just wait till she tries to push right through your belly button or ribs.
That's fun.
-Della