Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Good Update on Bad Morning

I feel sheepish. So last week I had a really bad morning that ended up okay. This morning was my regularly scheduled doctor appointment. I have continued to be concerned about my non-growing uterus that I haven't been able to feel above my navel like I should have. The difference is that today I was concerned rather than panicked. As soon as my doctor came in I started talking about my concerns so that I could have them alleviated. What I expected to hear and what I heard were two very different things.

According to my expectations, the doctor was going to confirm that my uterus wasn't growing and schedule an ultrasound to determine what the problem was. Then he would say that we would monitor whatever needed to be monitored to keep me from going into labor as long as possible. I was prepared to hear that, but I didn't.

After I talked to the doctor he had me lay down on the table to measure me and feel my uterus (from the outside, thankfully). Rather than tell me my uterus had stopped growing he told me it was big and showed me how far above my navel it really was. It was exceedingly relieving and very, very surprising.

Wanna know the problem? It's my divot. It's the band of scrunched-in skin that circles my belly-button. My pants sit at that level and the band on my underwear can't keep from slipping back onto it. Comparing my divot to the Grand Canyon isn't quite accurate. It's more like the Mariana Trench. Or you can think of the waist on a balloon person. The torso and hips are piled onto each other. Anyway, I was able to feel my uterus growing up until it reached the divot. After that I expected it to push my belly button out and it hasn't. It's also more difficult for me to find it up that high through all the chub. So I actually never had any reason to freak out. But now I can be even more grateful that the baby is doing so well, right? I like to think so.

2 comments:

Carrie and Karl said...

I'm glad all is well!

Della Hill said...

Hey, I'm glad all is well too.
But it's time for a new update.
What's going on?!
I need new posts!
-Della